Saturday, January 17, 2015

Growing Up with All Girls to Raising a Boy



I have to be honest, the moment I found out I was having a boy when I was pregnant wasn’t necessarily the most exciting time. I was rather disappointed and that’s putting it lightly. I grew up with all girls, 2 sisters and mom…the girliest girls. I reacted with disappointment but the truth is, I was scared!!

I had no idea what I would do and how I would raise a boy.

Growing up with all girls I learned:
*You are gonna find a bra hanging up somewhere random…doorknobs, in the shower, just laying around…
*If you’re the same size as one of them, you will find some piece of clothing missing and on one of them. This still happens!
*3 girls in one bathroom almost always ends in some sort of fight.
*”World War III” was when that time of the month was experienced by 2 of us if not all of us at once. You would hear screaming, crying, fighting, door slamming, and then a few minutes later we’d be fine.
*You can make fun of your sister's weird quirks or features, but if someone else does it...look out there's gonna be trouble. 




Here’s what I have learned so far raising a boy:
*Look before you sit. You may sit on something foreign and sticky and you’re not sure how it ever got there or what it is. You may fall in the toilet… yes this has happened to me…twice! You may sit on something sharp laying at the perfect angle to inflict pain.
*Everything you touch is somehow sticky. All the doorknobs, handles, walls… I swear I wash and wipe his hands all the time! Thank goodness for Mr. Clean Erasers! Pure Magic!
* You should always keep your makeup out of reach. My brushes have been wiped all over the toilet seat and floors. My lip gloss has been on stuffed animals and all over Teegans face…
*Always have a stocked pantry! Home boy is constantly eating!
*No matter how many toys he has, he will find ways to use my kitchen utensils or other random home items to play make believe with. 



I still have no idea how to raise a boy and if I had a girl I don’t think I would know how to raise her either. But, I do my best, and I think as parents that’s all we can do.



2 comments:

  1. Well I will say raising a boy sounds just like raising Hayden. She even plays with dinosaurs and says "Roar!!!" then leaves them on the floor for me to step on. She is always eating, into my makeup, and playing with my kitchen utensils. I think the only difference is Hayden is probably going through her day wearing a tutu and bracelets while Teegan is in full camo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! You are doing a great job raising Teegan. You girls are awesome parents............and I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete